LineSmarts is an app that turns android smartphones and tablets into sophisticated analysis and measurement tools for overhead power lines and structures. LineSmarts uses a novel method for remotely capturing a variety of measurements. You simply take a photo of the span or structure that you want to measure, input the distance to the structures, and then use the tools in LineSmarts to make measurements from the photo. Current features include:
- Measurement of wire tension, catenary constant, sag, vertical load and axial tension at support
- Measurement of span length
- Measurement of ground clearance, including automatically identifying the critical wire and position within the span with the least vertical clearance
- Measurement of structure and vegetation clearances, including automatically identifying the critical wire and position within the span with the least clearance
- Measurement of falling tree clearances, including automatically identifying the critical wire and position within the span with the least clearance
- Display of exclusion zones, including minimum approach distances around conductors or live points
- Calculation of conductor tension, catenary constant, sag, vertical load and axial tension under design load cases
- Calculation of conductor mechanical utilisation, blowout and change in sag at midspan
- Calculation of critical load cases for a range of parameters including sag, tension, conductor utilisation and clearances
- Measurement of pole lean
- Measurement of pole horizontal and vertical dimensions
- Built in library of conductor types, ability to add user defined conductors
- Definition of load cases in a user defined, limit state friendly, library
- Results image export for calculations
This video provides an overview of linesmarts.
LineSmarts provides several revolutionary advantages over established methods, including:
- It is safer to use – Unlike most other methods LineSmarts does not require: operation at heights, operation in the vicinity of electrified wires, the operation of heavy equipment or proximity to or disturbance of mechanically loaded assets.
- It can be non-invasive – In many cases assets on private property can be measured without setting foot on the property.
- It is easy to use – LineSmarts exploits the usability of modern consumer tablets to create a tool that is simple, intuitive and a pleasure to use.
- It is efficient – Typically measurements can be completed within minutes of arriving on site. In some locations you may not even have to leave your vehicle to complete measurements.
- It is low cost – The equipment requirement for making measurements using LineSmarts is an android tablet or smartphone. A laser range finder is a helpful tool for establishing the distance to pole supports, a requirement for some measurements, but other less expensive distance measurement techniques may also be used. A trial version of LineSmarts is free for download in the Android Play Store.
- It is accurate – LineSmarts is a highly accurate method for measuring overhead line wire tensions and dimensions (a good device calibration is required for accurate results correct).
- It is immediate – The results can be viewed in the field without requirement for post-processing or additional analysis.
- It uses equipment you already have – LineSmarts works on a smartphone or tablet. So if you always have your phone with you, LineSmarts will always be available, it is not a tool you forget to bring with you. LineSmarts works best when used with a laser rangefinder. If you already have an android phone or tablet and a laser rangefinder, then you already have all the equipment you need to use LineSmarts.
- It provides a record – The raw output from LineSmarts is a photo that is overlaid with the measurement result. The image can be stored as a permanent record of the assets condition at the time of measurement. The image also provides verification that the measurement was correctly made.
- It easy to communicate – Results of LineSmarts analyses can be quickly emailed to those who require them from the mobile device.
- It keeps getting better – Expect improvements and new features